It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…
If it’s still waaaaay too early for you to even start thinking about Christmas, let alone feeling in the festive mood, then we could not be any more opposite! I get excited for Christmas as early as the start of October, so being in the middle of November means I’m well and truly in the mood!
I always like to plan a few Christmassy bakes in the weeks leading up… but I do really like baking the classics like gingerbread and mince pies.. I just love the tradition (I really don’t like mince pies but it’s not Christmas without them).
This week I thought I’d ease myself into some festive baking with this AHHHMAZING gingerbread recipe. I absolutely love ginger and I like it quite strong so these little men are VERY gingery! There’s also a little kick of heat in there, giving a subtle aftertaste of chilli which I always think works perfectly with ginger.
If you’re thinking of making some Christmas gingerbread biscuits or braving an attempt at sculpturing a house (I’ve had both triumph and failure at gingerbread houses) then this is the recipe for you!!
Lets crack on…
You will need…
– 1 Whole egg and 1 egg yolk
– 200g Unsalted butter
– 200g Dark brown sugar
– 120g Golden syrup
– 50g or 1 piece of root ginger peeled and finely grated
– 1/2 A fresh red chilli
– 1 tsp Nutmeg
– 2 tbsp Ground ginger
– 560g Plain flour sifted
– 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
– Lined baking trays- I have three and baked in batches using the trays more than once.
– In a bowl lightly beat together the egg and the egg yolk and set aside for later.
– In a second bowl, beat the butter, sugar and syrup together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the egg until everything is combined.
– Mix together the ginger, chilli, ground ginger and nutmeg and then add to the batter. Then add the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and combine until the mix forms a dough- you may need to use your hands so bring everything together. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
– Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 6.
– Remove the clingfilm from the dough and allow to come back to room temperature outside of the fridge so that it’s soft enough to roll out.
– Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the dough to approximately 1cm thick. Cut out your gingerbread men (or whatever shape you want) with your cutter and transfer to the prepared tray.
– Bake in the oven for approximately 5-10 minutes or until golden.
– Leave to cool and then enjoy!!!
If like me you love ginger & Christmas then this recipe will for sure satisfy your festive spicy gingery needs. let me know what you think in the comments, I’d love to know.