With Autumn just around the corner, I’ve been thinking about all the comforting, heart warming foods that I love to make. For a pre-season taste, I decided to make a classic crumble, using the blackberries and apples that my mum’s been scrumping from her walks to Bradgate.
I love blackberry season, it reminds me of my childhood with my Nana and Grandad, and picking blackberries is something that I do year after year even now.
You really can’t beat a good crumble, and this is a simple but v scrumptious recipe that I think everyone could master!
You will need…
– 200g Plain flour
– 200g Caster sugar
– 150g Unsalted butter
– 100g Walnuts roughly chopped
– Pinch of sea salt
– 200g Apples peeled and cut into small chunks
– 150g Blackberries
– Preheat the oven to 200C.
– Prep the fruit by peeling and slicing the apples, and rinsing the blackberries thoroughly (especially if you’ve picked them yourself) to get rid of any dirt or anything lingering on the fruit. Place the sliced apple into a pan along with three tbsp. of water and three tbsp. of caster sugar. Boil on a medium heat to soften and caramelise the apples, then leave to the side.
– For the crumble, place the butter, sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub together with your fingers to create a mixture that resembles bread crumbs, with no lumps of butter. Then add the chopped walnuts.
– Place the fruit into your crumble dish then add the crumble topping. I like to clasp the crumble mix tightly in my hands, then crumble into the bowl to create bigger lumps of crumble.
– Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until lovely and golden. Remove from the oven and then leave to rest for at least ten minutes, if you can resist!
If like me you’re welcoming the new season with open arms, you should DEFINITELY get making this crumble. It’s made me feel so so excited for cosy nights, layering up, and OBVS amazing and comforting food!
Let me know what you love about Autumn, and share with me your comfort food faves! I’m always looking for new and exciting recipes, so I’d love for people to send me some to try!
Thanks for reading. xx